While making a cornbread batter today, found this recipe on the back of a can of Clabber Girl Double Acting Baking Powder, so you KNOW it just has to be good!
Old Fashioned Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp soft margarine or butter
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Add the milk all at once.
- Using a fork, stir just till moistened and dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, (dough will be sticky).
- On a floured surface, lightly knead dough with floured hands for 30 seconds or till nearly smooth.
- Lightly roll dough to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Cut dough with 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter, dipping cutter in flour between cuts.
- Place biscuits close together on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with soft margarine.
- Bake in a 475 degree oven for 11 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Yeild: Makes about 8